What fun cooking with friends can be! Over the last week at La Finca I have focused on making plant based meals with my friend from school days Annalisa Mather of Joy of Yum. It is amazing to think we have known each other over 50 years. We used to cook in Annalisa’s mother’s Danish kitchen and our ability to harmoniously experiment has not left us!
Annalisa arrived at the height of the summer when La Finca provides a basket of freshly picked produce daily. I am looking forward to sharing some of the recipes we created.
A Spectacular Starter (or accompaniment or main dish.
Juicy Baby Tomatoes and Peppers a La Finca
served with Olive bread for essential and luscious dipping
This dish is ideal for bringing people together to share time around the table. I serve it in the large heavy frying pan in which it is made with a loaf of Olive Bread (see recipe) on a board beside it. No one can help tucking in and helping others to serve.
Time to prepare and serve 1 hour maximum plus cooling time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 of each – baby red, yellow and green peppers – leave whole
- 500-750gms cherry tomatoes – multi coloured if possible – halved horizontally
- 3 cloves garlic fine chopped
- 2 tbsp drained capers
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme for decoration
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan
- Place the peppers in the pan (be careful as the oil may spit), cover and cook turning them regularly until they are slightly blackened
- When the peppers have been cooked on all sides add the tomatoes, garlic, capers, dried thyme and vinegar. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes are softened and the juices are running (15-20 mins)
- Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool to ambient temperature
- Decorate with sprigs of fresh thyme
- Serve with Olive Bread
For a vegetarian meal top the pan with slices of griddled haloumi or goats cheese